Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Here and There


I got up at 4:45 this morning, threw on whatever I could find in the dark and quietly slipped downstairs to make an egg burrito. I noticed that Jen's room was dark. When I opened the door she sat up suddenly and mumbled something about her alarm not going off. She sat there and stared blankly into the dark trying to shake off the sleep still clinging to her. About the time the burrito was done Jenn came down in a long calico skirt, cotton blouse, bonnet, apron and old running shoes to look in her bucket for her bloomers. I filled her water bottle, finished packing her lunch, wrapped up her burrito and we were out the door into the black of the morning. We picked up two more trekers and the excitement grew as we headed to the stake center. The roads near our house were empty, but as we approached the stake center headlights lit the area as other pioneers moved toward the busses. I wished I had brought my camera.

I would not be joining them this year. No room and it seems I have a few other things on my plate right now... still, part of me wished I was going. Eight years ago our ward did our own trek from Wallsburg to Daniel's Summit. It was long and hard and an absolutely wonderful, incredible experience. I had a sense of what these kids and leaders would be experiencing... and was a little sad that I was missing it... but I was excited for them. I reveled in their anticipation as I watched them load the busses in the accelerating light of morning. As the last bus pulled out (freeing my car at last) it was light and beautiful. I was home in a matter of minutes, ate a delicious breakfast, studied my scriptures and met my neighbor for a morning run.

I think of them often and wonder what they are doing right now... well, actually they are on the bus still headed for Martin's cove in Wyoming.

After my shower I think I will go take a nap. Maybe being home's not so bad after all...

3 comments:

Franklin Family said...

You have a gift for writing. This was beautiful!

Amy said...

I'm so excited to hear Jenn's stories!

Celisa said...

I hope that she has fun! It sounds like it will be a really neat experience.