Thursday, November 18, 2010

Today

 I woke up grumpy this morning.

Despite my best efforts to get to bed at a decent hour (I was in bed at 11:00) I didn't actually stay asleep for the night until past 12:30am.
My alarm at 6:15 this morning was not a welcome sound.
I walked around this morning making breakfast and packing lunches in a funk, not just tired but frustrated by my tiredness. I decided that after Jenn left for school I would go back to sleep for 30 minutes to try to catch up. I set the kitchen timer and noticed Jenn had left her phone on the counter, Oh well, she could get by without it. My favorite napping place is the living room couch. As I went in the living room to lay down I looked out the window and saw a neighbor walking by. Earlier this morning Jenn had mentioned that she got a text from this neighbor last night about babysitting. After checking with me this morning she wanted to respond but was worried that it was too early. She got the text ready and would send it on her way to school. I opened the door, got her attention and told her that Jenn could babysit. (Nice little tender mercy)

Then I noticed this:  
 The sun lit up a small face of the mountain and colored the snow and clouds a pinkish orange. 
Even though the valley was still in a shadow here was the promise of a bright sunny day.

In a few moments the pink and orange were gone but I was mesmerized as the sunlight traveled down the side of the mountain filling it with light.
Soon this whole valley will be filled with light. 
I felt a great reassurance that it's going to be a beautiful  day after all.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Thumbs up!!

Amy said...

I love those tender mercies...and I think I needed this post today.