Wednesday, July 11, 2012

It Happened


My mom - 30 years ago

The other day I was playing with my grandchildren when it happened. As the words came out of my mouth I heard my mother speaking them. Not only the words but the tone and inflections - definitely my mother. It surprised me. I have not lived at home for 31 years but my mother is still such a part of who I am. Sometimes when I look in the mirror I see her gazing back at me. As a child I went to a family reunion and people whom I'd never met looked at me and said, "You're Velda's daughter aren't you?" Yes, yes I am. My mother taught me to love - especially to love the Savior. She taught me about the atonement through the bedtime songs she sang to us. She taught me compassion, humility and patience. My mom was a transitional character, choosing to raise her family differently than she had been raised. The difference she made will be felt for generations to come. 


Thanks Mom.

Happy Birthday

I love you!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Happy Birthday, Grandma!