Wednesday, May 14, 2008

And another thing


Mothers Day

A few weeks ago the bishop asked me if I would speak on Mother's Day. Ever since the past bishop's wife spoke on Mother's Day I figured my time would come. I had so many thoughts that I struggled right up until Sacrament meeting trying to get them together. I have often struggled with Mother's day - feeling like I never measured up. So I made this my topic - how, when we are doing all we can, the grace and mercy of the Savior through His atonement can strengthen us and make up for our weaknesses. I will share one story with you that I used to illustrate this. I remember as a child my mother sitting in the hall and singing to us at night. Looking back I realize that it was most likely on the nights that us kids were wild and not settling down. My mom worked full time and was probably very tired. My mom would sing quietly so we would have to be very quiet to hear her. I'm not sure if she sat on the floor of the hall with the intent of teaching us about the atonement but as I heard her singing the words of "There is a Green Hill Far Away" and "I Stand All Amazed" that was exactly what she was doing. When she sang, "I tremble to know that for me He was crucified, that for me a sinner He suffered, He bled and died...Oh it is wonderful, wonderful to me." I knew that what she was singing was true and that she knew it was true also. My mom was doing all she could and the songs that most likely brought peace to her soul and to our home also sparked my testimony. Mothers don't have to be perfect - just working at it. 

How fun to be able to celebrate Amy's first mother's day too! It was a good day.

No comments: