Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Becky


Rebecca Marie Sewell Parker passed away this morning in her sleep at home in Norman OK.
She was 27.

Becky was diagnosed about a year and a half ago with brain cancer.

She underwent radiation and chemo in various forms until they decided a few months ago that they could do no more for her. She called me to let me know she was at peace with whatever Father in Heaven had in store for her.

She had actually been up and around earlier this morning but had gone back to bed. When family tried to wake her to administer some medication she was gone.

I first met Becky when we moved to Oklahoma in July of 1996 so Mark could teach at OU.
In '97 I was made first counselor in the Young Women's organization and she was one of my girls.

She and I clicked. She was facing various challenges in her life and I was blessed to be her friend. School was a real struggle for her so I home schooled her beginning in the fall of '98. I'm not sure how much school progress was made that year but I think she made great progress in learning who she was and what she wanted in life. She seemed happier. That same year our family decided to accept an offer for Mark to teach at BYU. We would be moving to Provo in the summer of '99.

It was decided that Becky would make the move with our family.

The year Becky lived with us was a challenging one on many levels.
We all learned a lot. Becky saved up enough money to go to London and work as a nanny that summer. Living in London was a dream of hers and she made it come true.
Upon her return she moved back home to Norman.

In January of 2005 she married William Parker in the Oklahoma City Temple.

Becky had a challenging life and has suffered more than most but today she is at peace. She is wrapped in the loving arms of the Savior. I am grateful to have known her. I have learned things from her that I could not have learned in any other way. I love her and she will be missed.

Thanks Becky.

3 comments:

Amy said...

She will definitely be missed and I am glad we had the opportunity of knowing her.

The Fifes said...

Wow. I love this insight. They are in our ward-- Dustin is HT companions with Will. I have only met her once, but have felt such love and compassion to her situation. Thank you for posting the picture-- what a cute couple. I am happy she is free now.

Anonymous said...

Awww. I'm so sorry. I am happy she is pain free.