Thursday, August 14, 2008

better late than never

It is me that's late not Elder Rob. Here's his weekly letter:

FAMÍLIA! How's everyone doing?

I have very mixed feelings about this last week. On Tuesday in our District Meeting my companion and I found out that we had our Zone Conference the following day. So, we missed about 10 appointments Wed. But, Zone conference was more than I could have hoped for! President and Sister Myrrha (Me-huh) are really inspired, not to mention, really friendly and funny. We had a really good time and I had the opportunity to speak with them and get to know them a little better. But, the Sunday before zone conference I talked to our Leader of the work of the missionaries(or whatever you call it in English), and I confirmed our lunch with him, for that Wed.(zone conference!?) and told him to have churrasco, or Brasilian barbecue. Anyways, when we canceled he wasn't too happy and said he wouldn't do churrasco next so I was pretty bummed. The next day we had a Birthday we were invited to, so we brought a few people there and wasted a good hour and a half. Friday, we had an activity and again brought investigators but wasted a good deal of the night. Saturday we walked and walked and knocked doors and taught 2 measly lessons! It was a bit depressing but I didn't let it get to me. Then Sunday, Father's Day, we passed at least 8 houses trying to walk with our investigators to church and not a single one came with us. So, we had 50 people in the congregation all together and 4 investigators in Sacrament Meeting. I was really devastated. Then we heard from the other missionaries in our district and the average of people in the other wards was 20 people so I felt a bit better. But, the thing that is really sad is that, Father's Day is an excuse not to go to church here and for non-members an excuse to get drunk. But, who is the most important Father in the whole world? Who loved us so much that he sent his first born to save us in our sins? Who loved us so much that he wanted us to become like him and have everything that he has? The people here are really twiterpated!
I definitely miss our ward, our quite house too; to ponder, to study, to cook (not like I cooked before but wow, you ought to see my pastels), to draw, to talk, to cuddle(with Ruby of course), to learn.
Wow, this letter is really depressing, but, I'm not depressed. The only importance about these words is that I have a lot of work to do. I have really learned a lot being out here. I have learned that we never have to be lonely. I tell people every day; I smile, and as I am walking through the streets I look everyone directly in the eyes and as a representative of Christ I can testify that we have a Father in Heaven that loves us and wants nothing but the best for us. I have known this all my life, thanks to our wonderful parents, but, I don't think it was ingraved in my heart like it is now. The significance of this phrase, "We have a father in heaven that loves us and wants nothing but THE BEST for us." He is there, just beyond our closed eyes and crossed fingers, open hearts and our knees glued to the floor. He is waiting; to comfort us, to answer our prayers, to guide us in every aspect of life. What better message is there? I hope you don't have to think! If this message, this joy, this eternal perspective ever leaves my eyes, I want all of you to promise you'll give me a good straight one right in the jaw. Tá (ok)?!
This perspective everyone can have. I want everyone to have. There is a book that I know that has changed my life, Preach my Gospel. I don't want to take the importance off of the Book of Mormon or any of the other books of the church. But, if you want to learn; how to teach, how to converse, how to ask questions, how to help the missionaries, your responsibility as a missionary, Preach my Gospel is the Book to read. I recommend it to everyone.
On this very special day I want to share my love and gratitude with you guys, my family. I hope you all know how much you mean to me and how I feel your prayers and your love with me. If your ever feeling down, you can all feel the Holy Comforter in you times of trial and you can know that I am praying for you all.

Thanks once again for all your love, prayers, thoughts, examples! I'm truly indebted to you all. I love you all with all my heart. Thanks for writing!

Until next week.

Love, Elder Z

P.S. Still waiting for the package but Sister Myrrha says that they usually take a while, like, maybe a month. I sure hope not but we'll see.

No comments: